- What sells at a garage sale?
- How should I price things for a garage sale?
- Is it worth having a garage sale?
- How do you throw a successful garage sale?
- What is the best month for garage sales?
- What is the best month to have a yard sale?
- How much cash should I have for a garage sale?
- How do you make money at a garage sale?
- How do I price my art?
- Is it better to have a garage sale or donate?
- What items are valuable in a garage sale?
- Is Sunday a good day for a garage sale?
A good garage sale rule of thumb is to sell items at 10 to 25% of their original value.
Most people aren’t looking to spend a lot, so try not to price anything over $100.
Selling big-ticket items online is often more effective.
What sells at a garage sale?
12 Garage Sale Items That Sell Like Hotcakes
- Gently used clothing, in good condition. Everyone needs clothes, and savvy shoppers know you don’t have to pay retail to look good.
- Vintage dishes, glassware, and casseroles.
- Garden tools.
- Shoes and handbags.
- Costume jewelry.
- Games, toys, and bicycles.
How should I price things for a garage sale?
Start With the One-Third Rule
So while you do want to get rid of your old things, you want to be compensated fairly for them. The general rule of thumb when you start pricing items for a garage sale is to go for one-third of their full price. That means that if you paid $100 for a coffeemaker, price it around $30.
Is it worth having a garage sale?
Don’t be that person trying to sell valuable jewelry at a garage sale. Yes, it’s probably worth what you’re asking — but not to a garage-sale shopper. Your vintage goods may take longer to sell online than in your garage — but you’ll probably nab a much better price for a lot less effort.
How do you throw a successful garage sale?
Try these other display tips to make your sale a success:
- It’s All in the Details. Thoughtful touches can help your sale stand out.
- Tables Everywhere. Don’t make people bend down to look at your things.
- Hang Them Up. Hang your clothes on a portable rack to add a boutique feel to your sale.
- Display in Groups.
What is the best month for garage sales?
Best Month For A Yard Sale
After early spring garage sales, summertime yard sales are always a hit. The second Saturday of August is National Garage Sale Day every year — if that tells you anything. End-of-the-summer garage sales do well too, but my new favorite time of year for a garage sale is in the fall.
What is the best month to have a yard sale?
When during the year should you hold your garage sale?
- The best time is generally spring, especially early spring.
- Summer is next best if it isn’t too hot.
- End of summer and fall are often ignored but can also be successful because the weather’s just as nice, and there’s less competition.
How much cash should I have for a garage sale?
Plenty of cash.
Get two rolls of quarters, a stack of 50 $1 bills, 10 $5 bills, and 5 $10 bills. Do it two days before the sale so that, if you forget, you can still get the change on the day before.
How do you make money at a garage sale?
Make the most money at your garage sale by remembering to:
- Start your sale on time. Garage sale pros are known to hit the streets with the sun.
- Have help at the ready.
- Offer light refreshments.
- Accept multiple forms of payment.
- Re-merchandise as you go.
- Be open to package deals.
- Bargain with the best of them.
How do I price my art?
Pay yourself a reasonable hourly wage, add the cost of materials and make that your asking price. For example, if materials cost $50, you take 20 hours to make the art, and you pay yourself $20 an hour to make it, then you price the art at $450 ($20 X 20 hours + $50 cost of materials).
Is it better to have a garage sale or donate?
Taking the tax deduction associated with charitable giving may actually be a better deal than the small amount of cash you would make at a yard sale. Plus, if you have larger items (such as furniture) to donate, many charities will schedule a free pickup at your home.
What items are valuable in a garage sale?
You could score a valuable antique for pennies. As a seller, it means you have the potential to make significant cash simply by hosting a garage sale.
Here are 15 popular items worth big money at garage sales.
- Old games.
- Picture frames.
- Vintage dishes.
- Costume jewelry.
- Fishing rods.
- Camping gear.
Is Sunday a good day for a garage sale?
Sundays are fine for the second day of a Saturday sale but don’t make it the primary day unless it’s customary in your area. Don’t schedule your yard sale on Labor or Memorial Day weekends.